Tuesday, January 29, 2008

The Official Working Mom

I did it! I made it through my first day of work! Actually, I made it through my first two days, but who is counting (except me to payday). I really like it. I am looking forward to going again tomorrow! I think that says something. As a family service worker, I am responsible for Ms. Woodland's AM and PM students and their families. I make sure that we have all their information and that the families needs are met. We do a lot of paper work and print lots of reports. We work with excel, which I know very well, so I feel like a genius when Mary is showing us (myself and the other two ladies that started with me) how to do something and I am already four steps ahead.

We also get to go help out at the school when they need us. I really like that. We help get the AM kids on the bus, while the PM kids are getting off and going to their classrooms. Afterwards we go to lunch, so I get to stick my head into Caleb and Nora's classes and give them kisses and see their happy little faces. I love it!

Mom came over yesterday to help out. Sean worked all weekend and was dead, so he slept and Mom took care of everything. The kids loved it. I had left her a note with instructions so that all the kids could get to where they needed to go. Caleb's teacher, Mrs. Merris, told me that the first thing that Caleb told her when he got to school was that Mommy and written a note to Grammy saying that they could watch cartoons after school. I guess he was waiting at the door for Nora to get home so that they could watch the cartoons as soon as she was home.

Of course my children couldn't be forgotten. They wouldn't have that. I got a call yesterday, my first day, and when I picked up the phone, it was John's Hill Magnet School calling to say that Isabelle came to the nurses office complaining of a sore throat and had a slight fever and I needed to come pick her up. I called Mom and had her wake up Sean to go get her. Minutes later, Ms. Stephanie calls from Head Start Site 2 to inform me that Caleb had a rash and needed to be picked up. Sean had already left the house and didn't have his cell phone, so I called John's Hill and left a message with them to have him go pick up Caleb. As it all turns out, they were just fine.

People at work keep acting surprised that we like it. They make it seem like it's going to be just horrible - just wait, but I do really like it. I have my own desk with a computer. I have my John Deere mug and cup on my desk with chocolate in them, and I have a big picture frame with a lot of pictures of the kids in it up on the wall. I am getting settled already. I also get to go home for lunch, which is great.

One of the best things for me is that when I get home, I am excited to see my kids! I am happier and more playful. That is what I love the most. Although, I do miss Sean. He comes home at 6:30 when he is working and I leave at 7:30. I come home at 4:30 and he leaves at 5:30. It's not a lot of time together. He didn't work last night or tonight, but last night I went with Mom to Springfield to see my dear friend Melody. She had her Jack Jack yesterday (9 lb 7 oz and 22 1/2 in) and we went to visit. Tonight, despite the bad weather, we had our pack meeting, which was the pinewood derby, and I couldn't miss that. And then he works the next two nights. Sigh...

We will get this. But here's to working and surviving how ever you can :)

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Congratulations, you're absolutely amazing. I saw you tried to call. I promise to call when I can.

Jodi said...

Congratulations on making it through your first two days! I have been thinking about you both days! I wanted to call, but between your schedule and mine, thought I better wait. Wish I was there to help you! What a blessing to have a job land in your lap that you like!!! Hurrah!

Amber said...

You are now officially my hero! How you can manage to care for your family, work outside the home and still blog amazes me!!!!

Amy and Chaos said...

You all are too kind. Remember, I don't take care of the kids while I work :) Sean is the one that doesn't sleep. I couldn't do it without him.

Kirsten Danley said...

So great to hear how much you're enjoying your job! I've been thinking about you and wondering how it's going. And I really mean to call...

It must be nice to be able to "peek in" to see Nora and Caleb once in a while at work. Sounds like the perfect job for you. And so nice to have help from Mom and Sean. I'm just sorry you don't get to spend more time with your hubby. I suppose it makes you appreciate the times you have together more. :)

tv reviews said...

Congrats!