Tuesday, March 18, 2008

It Was a Dark and Storm Day

I still can't find my camera. It is really bothering me too. Yes Amber, when I find that black hole, I will check for your stuff too.

Yesterday Mom had us over for dinner. She made split pea soup, watergate salad, and green water. Mmmm. It was good. Nora is becoming quite a collector of other peoples' things. She picked up Dad's flashlight last night and it didn't phase her a bit when I made her go take it to him and tell him that she was sorry for taking it. She crammed some thin mints in her mouth later on because she knew she wasn't supposed to have anymore and ended up choking on them. I wasn't feeling too sorry for her at that point. She had to sit in time out until she was ready to apologize to Grammy. She wouldn't do it until she thought that we had all left her when we went to put stuff (and Tori) out in the van. I just don't know what to do with her.

There is a reason why I don't like toddler potties. Olivia has one out right now so that she can be encouraged to use it (which isn't being very encouraging, seeing as how she hasn't used it or anything). Tonight I went upstairs to put kids to bed and smelled something bad. I found that someone had used the potty. Not today either. I asked Caleb and Nora and Caleb admitted that he had done it, but he quickly added "but that was when I was four!" It didn't help him any. He still got a spank and sent to his room. Oh, should I admit that? I am a terrible mother. I spanked my son today.

I love my job. I never thought that I would say something like that. I never imagined myself working outside the home. And the idea of working would make me cringe. But here I am. Working and loving it. Does it have something to do with the fact that I have 5 kids under 8? Could be. Do I like getting away for a few hours? Perhaps. Is the extra income nice? Maybe. Is it all of the above? Absolutely. But I do have to say that the past two days have been soooo long! Mary C. and I went recruiting to Mt. Zion yesterday and today. If you don't know Mt. Zion, it's a very nice town just outside of Decatur, to the southeast. There are a lot of upscale homes and middle class homes there, and not many rougher places. If you know what I am getting at. Head Start is for the less privileged families. Like ours :) So we went and sat there at the pre-k screening from 8:45 - 2pm yesterday and 8:45 - 12 pm today doing nothing! No one was interested in putting their darlings into pre-school with the less fortunate. It's a little amusing to me to see this. Especially since I have two in the program. I have to say that I appreciate all that Nora and Caleb learn from school, including diversity and to see people for who they are on the inside. They don't see the color of skin or the clothes, but the personalities. Anyway, it was so boring! And even when we got back to the site, there wasn't anything to do. Here's hoping for crazy chaos tomorrow...but only at work, not at home.

Okay, I am off to bed. Sean is working again tonight, so I am going to go snuggle in bed and watch a little tv before going to sleep. Sorry again for my lack of pictures. My blog feels so naked!

4 comments:

Jodi said...

Okay, I will admit it. I wouldn't put my kids in Head Start or any other preschool, upscale or otherwise. But now I am in the middle of a paper on Early Childhood Education and according to all the research, Head Start or any other decent preschool seems to have long lasting positive affects on children regardless of their background. Now I feel guilty I haven't done preschool. But I still won't send them. Not because of the experiences they will have there, but because I hate sending my kids somewhere else. I like having them home with me. I hate sending them to the babysitters four days a week. I hate sending my older kids to public school. If I had my way, Will would work at home and I would homeschool the kids and we would be the granola family out in the country on a farm. I know, I know, I am a nut. Anyway, my boys will just have to be disadvantaged. :-(

Dannenbergs said...

I am so glad you found our blog from the Philmont site. We love reconnecting with old friends. You and I have never met, but Pat told me your cute Philmont story. I am sure someday we'll meet, but for now blogging will have to do. Pat and I met at Philmont too.

Jodi said...

Hurrah! I have now found research that prek isn't necessarily beneficial! I mean "hurrah" only because my little guys aren't going. So, maybe I don't suck as mom as much as I thought!

Pat Dannenberg said...

Susan and I have talked about putting Paul into some sort of preschool program. My abundance of pay has not shown up in life yet so sending him to a good school may not happen. I am not sure what he will get for an education but at this point it will be anything free or close enough to it!