Saturday, February 16, 2008

Hobbies

I began thinking about hobbies today. I wonder what hobbies others enjoy. Some are obvious, such as Soni and quilting. Others may be guilty pleasures. I seem to have a collection of hobbies ranging from banjo playing to radio. At the former I am neither proficient or dedicated. Seems each time I pick up to play I break a string. Radio, however is both entertaining and educational.

I listen to short wave regularly. I love the variety from around the world available on such a simple medium. I also hold a ham radio license and talk on there occasionally. I have a hand held unit that is on most of the time. I have aspirations to pass the test for a General class license that will allow me to use a 10 meter radio I have and talk over even greater distances. There is something about this hobby that attracts me. I find myself learning more in a wide variety of fields studying radio than any other hobby I have been involved in. This makes me think it will be a long-lived interest.

I have several other "pasttimes" I enjoy, but few I would consider a hobby. What are some of the ways you relax and pass time for amusement. I have a few guesses at obvious answers, but try to surprise me with a good one.

73

Sean

1 comment:

Jodi said...

Will is the hobby-meister in our family. He would love to get into ham radio too! I thought it would be fun to become geo-cachers as a couple, so I got Will a book about it along with a GPS for Christmas. Alas, we have yet to go. I think I am just too lazy to have a hobby. I love to read and I used to scrapbook but that is about it. Here's a better question. What hobbies would you like to pursue if you had time? (And weren't so dang lazy?!?) Well, Sean, I would like to grow most of our food. So, that would include gardening, growing fruit trees and bushes, raising chickens and maybe a cow, canning, preserving, etc. I think it would be cool to have a couple of dogs and train them. I would also like to be an expert on American History and Current Events. I also want a horse. I think traveling to interesting places would rock. If only I wasn't lazy AND had some free time. (A little cash wouldn't hurt either...) Here are a few of Will's hobbies: Computers, shooting, video-editing, fishing, crocheting (don't tell him I told), woodworking, boating, taxidermy, scuba-diving, rock-climbing, camping, hunting, golfing, jogging, and someday he wants to write science-fiction novels. WHEW! He's a Renaissance Man! Much like you!